The real adventure started when we arrived at the bus terminal, and immediately men started pulling are arms towards these buses. We attempted to find anyone who could tell us how to buy tickets, and got a lot of pointing towards the buses. We finally got on a buss, with more people pushing us and every time we asked if this was the bus to Nim Bihn, they just shook their heads and smiled, which I'm guessing means that we were saying the town wrong and they were just saying yes to get us to stop asking questions. So, we sat like uncomfortable cattle in the back of a bus as people stared at us in surprise that we were taking local transportation. At first it was a bit scary then I figured the worst that happens is we head to a different town, get a hotel and jump on a bus the next day to somewhere else. About an hour and a half into the drive we stop for a break. Once again, our whiteness attracts all the stares of the locals as we get off the buss in an attempt to use one of the most disgusting toilets I've had to visit in all of Asia, thus far. Back on the bus and about 30 minutes later, we get yelled at by the driver to come to the front of the bus (which of course is him just pointing at us and signalling us forward), and once the door is opened, we are all but pushed of the slow moving bus in a town we are told is Nim Bihn.
After a bit of walking we found a hostel, checked out the rooms, and decided it is good enough for now so we stay. Since this is a small town, the market mainly consists of food, very little clothes shops, and a welcome change, no tourist shops. As we're nearing the end of the market area, we come to the 'fresh food' section. Live chickens, fish, fresh vegetables, and to my surprise, a cooked dog. I'll spare you all on the detail of what exactly it looked like but I did look back about 20 times as I couldn't believe I was starting at an actual dog. As bad as it sounds, it was not as horrible as I thought it would be. Also, I assume its not as common to eat dogs since I saw about 20 women with chickens, another 10 selling fish, and only one with the dog. Of course as I was walking back to the hostel, I started realizing how many dogs were tied up, and have now decided to not eat meat while I'm staying in this town.
I must say, the boats there are interesting. beautiful picture, were you in a cave
ReplyDelete