Monday, January 24, 2011

The first two weeks

The first two weeks of living in S'pore have been nothing less than chaotic and exciting. When I arrived I stayed in a hotel for two nights looking for an apartment. Needless to say, those were two very lonely and frustrating nights in which I definitely questioned what I was thinking when I choose to move to Asia. Thankfully, I found a place by the second day that is really close to school and things started to calm down, a bit. The biggest shock so far was the cost of living. It's like living in Manhattan! The best part though is that I have two roommates, who are both from India and both graduated the MBA program I am attending here at National University of Singapore (NUS), which has been extremely helpful as I adjust to a new lifestyle.
My classes are going well. I have only 3 courses here in Singapore, which I conveniently scheduled on only Monday and Tuesday. Which means, 5 days of travel every week. As you can see classes might become a second to travel during these 4 months, but of course I will make sure I will at least pass!
The first weekend I was here I traveled to Bintan Indonesia on a group trip organized by local students for all the exchange students attending NUS this semester. We took the ferry over, which proved to miserable as I get sea sick in packed boats. The way back was much worse as there was choppy seas and it took us twice as long (about 3 hours). Bintan was just okay, not a whole lot there, but I did have a chance to meet a few really cool girls that I plan on traveling with in the future, and I got to explore and meet some locals, so it was worth it in that respect. I also had a bungalow which was in the water (pics are on facebook), which has been a dream of mine for some time now.
Back to Singapore for the second week of classes I discovered that it is very difficult to figure out a new school system, but everyone has been very helpful here, so the frustration was kept to a minimum.
So, my favorite parts of Singapore so far are Hawker centers. They are essentially outdoor food courts in which families rent out a kiosk and cook various types of food and I have one that is about a 5 minute walk from my house.  It is extremely cheap, around $2.50 USD for a meal, and another $.70 for fresh juice. I eat here twice a day as its cheaper than cooking at home. Plus, it very difficult to get tired of the food as there is about 100 stalls, and every type of food, including Indian, Chinese, Malay ect. I'm trying to remember to take picture of my food, but I tend to be too hungry to remember.

Well, I don't want to scare you all off with such a long first post, so Ill continue next time with my trip to Malaysia.

2 comments:

  1. wonderful to hear about your adventures!!
    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following Myra! The adventures should get more exciting in the next few weeks, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand on the immediate list of destinations!

    ReplyDelete